CLIMATE CHANGE MOTION:
This Thursday is the Full Council meeting at SBC and we have submitted a Cross Party Motion calling for Swindon Borough Council to be Carbon Neutral by 2030.
We feel that it is important this has the support of all members so have submitted it as a Cross Party Motion but await Labour’s confirmation.
Motion - Carbon Neutrality by 2030 - Councillor Gary Sumner will move:
“Council Notes that:
· A cross-party Motion was passed in January 2019
· Climate change is an urgent issue and we are already taking a leading role by challenging ourselves and others to take steps towards becoming carbon neutral through the Councils Climate Change Working Group and its five Steering Groups:
o Policy and Lobbying
o Environment, Air Quality and Farming
o Education, Engagement and Communication
o Buildings, Economy Industry and Planning
· By taking a lead in the climate movement the Council can create something of a domino effect of climate action among local businesses, residents and policymakers alike.
Requests that the Leader of the Council:
· Commits the Council to an 80 per cent reduction in the council`s corporate carbon emissions no later than 2030, striving towards 100 per cent with carbon offsetting by the same date, with the aim of making the council’s estate and activities net-zero carbon by 2030.
· Ensures that all strategic decisions, budgets and approaches to planning decisions are in line with a shift to zero carbon by that date.
· Ensures that the council supports and works with other agencies towards making Swindon zero carbon within the same timescale.
· Ensures that political and chief officer leadership teams embed this work in all service areas.
· Asks the Council’s Scrutiny Committees to consider the impact of climate change and the environment when reviewing policies and strategies.”